Festivals, Schools, Community/City Events, Meetings/Workshops, Weddings, Private Parties, Corporate Events
Save 50% with Texas Commission on the Arts Grants!
Education Program Basics
- See traditional costumed dances;
- Learn how math and dance are related through time and space; dance movement can be all sorts of circles and lines (geometry!);
- Learn call and response song(s);
- Learn about the continent of Africa’s distinct geography [54 countries!] and culture;
- Understand new vocabulary and use it;
- Identify patterns and recognize their significance;
- Learn about the cultural history and background of West African drum and dance, as records of human achievement;
- Be invited onstage to learn traditional dance steps.
2/ Drum and/or Dance Residency (two week minimum, can select either drum or dance, or choose both!). Dance Residency introduces the African aesthetic through movement and gesture. Students will learn cultural specific reasons why and how dances are performed; and learn, improvise and perform short dance phrases. Various different diasporic social dance forms presented from countries like Guinea, Ghana, etc. Drum Residency introduces students to culture and traditional music of West African countries such as Guinea, Mali, Ghana, The Ivory Coast, etc. Students will learn the culture specific reasons why the polyrhythmic songs are played in the villages and the cities in West Africa. Students will learn to play some of the main drums played in that region of Africa which are called “djembes” and “dununs.”
4/ Drum and dance performances of traditional, and innovative Guinean and African diasporic rhythms. Suitable for small/large audiences, and diverse facilities.
- Program Length: We can do it all. 15, 45, or 60 minutes, and back‐to‐back sets are fine (feel free to contact us).
- Recommended individual group size: Up to 350 for grades K‐12. ** We can also accommodate larger audiences, e.g festivals, etc.
- Recommended ages: K‐12, adults.
- Number of shows: 1‐2 shows for a half‐day or special event; 3‐4 shows for a full‐day.
- Location: We can perform in diverse facilities, including covered, cleared and swept outdoor stages, theatres, libraries, cafetoriums and gyms are all workable venues.
- Tech needs: Level, clean surface free of sharp objects (preferably sprung floor, however, we’re adaptable).
- More details on Lannaya’s FAQ page